[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Import Error Message Suggestion

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Wed Feb 5 17:22:55 EST 2014

Hi Jaime,

Completely agreed, and I'd love to hear more about your process of migrating to ArchivesSpace.  I'm just starting on a similar project, but I don't think that we'll be ingesting too much EAD directly into ArchivesSpace at this point, so I'm still very unfamiliar with that process.

In the meantime, if you're importing EAD files into ArchivesSpace, do you also have an XML editor like oXygen?  If so, then you could validate these documents against a Schematron file that would tell you exactly where those errors occur.

I have honestly never written a Schematron file until just now (but I was very inspired at the EAD Hackathon!), but using the following example file (which I just hastily put together) with oXygen will show you exactly where those problems occur:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<schema xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron" queryBinding="xslt2">
    <ns uri="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9" prefix="ead"/>
    <pattern>
        <rule context="ead:unitdate[contains(@normal, '/')]">
            <assert test="number(substring-after(@normal, '/')) gt number(substring-before(@normal, '/'))">Date normalization is invalid (end date occurs before begin date)</assert>
        </rule>
    </pattern>
</schema>

In this case, I'm assuming that you have schema-valid EAD files, but if you're using the DTD instead, you should be able to just delete that "ead:" piece of text or replace it with "*:".

I hope this might help.  Obviously you could turn this example into a much more robust Schematron file, and test for a lot of other things, too.
Mark