[Archivesspace_Users_Group] NYPL ArchivesSpace Feature Proposal

Mary Kidd marykidd at nypl.org
Wed Aug 2 15:23:54 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

My name is Mary Kidd, and I work at NYPL in their Special Collections (SC)
Department. A few SC staff formed a "Data Object Model Group", and have
been meeting on a biweekly basis over the past 18 months to conceptualize a
system to better manage objects.

A few weeks ago I published a blog post
<https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017/07/06/lets-start-box> to informally ask my
followers what they use to manage objects at their institutions.  The
systems suggested (TMS was a popular one) do not quite fulfill the core
functional requirements of our ideal system.

This summer we implemented ASpace for archival description (led by Alex
Duryee), and so far have been very happy with the results.  This made us
wonder whether ASpace could, with some entity/relationship tweaking,
provide an avenue for us to better manage objects.

What would our ideal system look like, you wonder?  We invite you to review
our NYPL ArchivesSpace Feature Proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12uuwW0adh8cvtayvwN5Kst38Mmkw3_uyO9h6R0aYa1s/edit>
and share feedback within the document.

In general, we would appreciate feedback on the following questions:
- Have any of you wished ASpace provided some or all of the features we
have outlined in our proposal document?
- If not, what other systems do you use to manage objects at your
institution?  Are they working for you?

We would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Mary

--

*Mary Kidd | The New York Public Library*
*Special Collections Operations and Systems Coordinator*

476 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10018-2788
T: (917) 229-9594 | marykidd at nypl.org

*Inspiring Lifelong Learning* | *Advancing Knowledge* | *Strengthening Our
Communities*