[nfais-l] NFAIS mourns loss of staff member

blawlor at nfais.org blawlor at nfais.org
Mon Jan 27 21:08:26 EST 2014

It is with a heavy heart that I inform NFAIS members of the death of Margaret Manson, Manager Customer Services and Member Relations.  Most of you know her - she has been an NFAIS fixture since she joined the staff in March of 1995.  Over the years she has tirelessly solved member problems, answered questions, and always ensured that annual conference attendees were well taken care of.  She was diagnosed with cancer shortly after last year’s conference, but we all hoped that we would celebrate her recovery at this year’s meeting. But it was not to be - God wanted her with him.

There is a quote from Margaret’s memorial service that I want to share with you as it is something that I had come to know very well over the years that I have worked with her.  “Margaret was known to be a quiet woman, yet when she had something to say, you listened.  She shared her practical wisdom with many, thereby making lifelong treasured friends. She was a loving, strong, and supportive wife, mother, sister, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, friend, etc. She was a spiritual pillar in the true sense of the meaning.” The latter is something to which I can personally attest – she provided the perfect example of how to live your religious beliefs – whatever they may be.  She lived her beliefs through action and never questioned the religious paths taken by others. She and I had many a philosophical discussion when we arrived at the office in the morning (after which we always agreed that together we could solve the world’s problems!). I miss her every day when I enter the darkened NFAIS office and I dedicate the 2014 Conference to her service to the Federation.

Just some background information that you might not know. Margaret was a 1960 graduate of Berkley High School in Aberdeen, North Carolina and later of Fayetteville State College, also in North Carolina. Although she established her residence in Deptford, N.J., she still remained very close to her North Carolina family and friends. Her loving survivors are her husband, William Manson (who has helped at every NFAIS conference since Margaret joined the organization); daughters, Lana Thomas, of Lithonia, Ga., Juanita Manson, of Williamstown, N.J., and Baba Manson of Mantua, N.J.; stepson, William Brady, of Elizabeth, N.J.; brothers, Larry Ray, of Norriton, Pa., and Ted Ray, of Statesville; sisters, Lillian Seagraves, Cathy Hinton, and Juana Ray, all of Aberdeen; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Please join me in offering a thanks to Margaret for all that she has done for us. I firmly believe that she can hear us.

Bonnie Lawlor
NFAIS Executive Director
[mailto:blawlor at nfais.org] blawlor at nfais.org