[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Creating top containers en masse?

Linda Hocking lhocking at litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org
Wed Oct 18 09:43:45 EDT 2023

Hi all,

We are working on getting locations and top containers set up for collections processed quite a while ago in Archon. We attempted to do what Lynn described below (thank you for those instructions!) and had some odd results. First, when we download the container template for any of the collections created in Archon, the archival objects in the spreadsheet are reordered. We also downloaded a few container templates for resources created within ArchivesSpace to compare, and those did not have this issue.

Also, although the data I entered in this spreadsheet indicated a top container type and indicator and a child type and indicator, the ingest resulted instead in two top container instances (box and folder) as well as a child folder container under the box top container. I’m attaching the spreadsheet.

Does anyone else have issues with data imported from Archon while trying to use this functionality? I would welcome any ideas what I might have done wrong. We do have some larger collections for which this would be timesaving if it worked as intended, so I hope to be able to use it. We do not have access to the API.

Thank you!
Linda

Linda Hocking, CA
Curator of Library & Archives