[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Creating top containers en masse?

Lynn Moulton lynn.moulton at bc.edu
Wed Oct 4 16:25:07 EDT 2023

Hi Christopher,

As long as you're on a somewhat recent release (apologies, I don't recall
when this functionality was added, it's at least in 3.3), there's a
built-in bulk process that depends on using a download from the collection
level of your resource. I'm hoping this screen shot will come through, but
it's under the Export menu>Download Container template.
[image: image.png]

It will export every AO on your resource. You add container information to
any pertinent rows, delete any others, and as long as you don't fill in the
"Top Container ID" column, the system assumes that container is new and
builds it. Then you import via the "Load iva Spreadsheet" option on the
Resource record, selecting the option for "Link Top Containers" rather than
"Import Archival Objects" and viola, you have linked Top Containers. I'm
sure there are more detailed directions in ASpace's user manual as well,
but this should be enough to get you going.

Best,
Lynn Moulton
John J. Burns Library
Boston College