[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Bulk transform subjects into agents?

Michelle Paquette mpaquette at smith.edu
Wed Oct 11 13:24:20 EDT 2023

Hi Megan,

I've done batch agent creation via the API more recently, so if you find
you're struggling feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to provide some
more specifics or a sample script. If the subject versions of these agent
records you have now are already associated with resources, archival
objects, and accessions, I'd also suggest that you make sure when you
export any of the data you remember to pull out those associations as well
so you can re-link based on URIs when you create them as agents.

Michelle

On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 10:31 AM Clair, Kevin <kmc35 at psu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Megan,
>
> I had to do this when we migrated to ArchivesSpace at my previous
> institution. There isn't a way to directly transform subject records into
> agent records because of the way the data is structured in ArchivesSpace;
> you will need to export all of the subjects you want to convert, figure out
> what kind of agent they actually are (person, corporate entity, family, or
> software), then update the records so that you can import them back into
> ArchivesSpace as the proper record type.
>
> All of that can be done via the API. When I did this it would have been
> almost eight years ago so I don't know if I still have my specific scripts
> (and it would have been plural because I imported each agent type
> separately), but the links Channing sent can get you started down the path.
>
> cheers
> -kevin
> ------------------------------

Michelle Paquette
(she/her)
Metadata & Technical Services Archivist
Special Collections
Smith College
413-585-7029
mpaquette at smith.edu

For current library access and services details, see Library Services
During COVID-19
<https://libraries.smith.edu/library-services-during-covid-19>.