[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Migration from Archivists' Toolkit to ArchivesSpace

Corey Schmidt Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu
Tue Nov 28 11:42:01 EST 2023

Hey Geoff,

We here at the University of Georgia migrated from AT to ASpace back in 2020 with success. If you would like, I can reach out off-listserv to supply a docker file for your IT person to try out. We migrated when 2.7 was the latest/semi-latest release, so it wasn't that much of a stretch to get 2.6 working (though I remember having difficulties going backward from 2.7 to 2.6, due to new language requirements if I remember correctly).

If you can get 2.6 up and running, I highly recommend going with the AT to AS plugin, since it will copy the data over completely and has a robust error log to record when things don't migrate or changes are made. There is a 3-part video tutorial series on YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay3RmWgALRA&list=PL3cxupmXL7WhTCWXe14_kOzyUwDpDr2mZ> that walks through the steps on how to set up your environment pre-migration, using the plugin, and post-migration cleanup, as well as a bunch of resources elsewhere (Orbis Cascade's AT Cleanup and Migration Prep Guidelines<https://www.orbiscascade.org/programs/osdc/archives-and-manuscripts-collections/archivesspace/at-migration-preparation/> comes to mind). If you had to import to the latest ASpace version, I would look into using the Import Data background jobs<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ArchivesSpaceUserManual/pages/894566467/Importing+Records+Overview> for Accessions, Subject-Agents, Digital Objects, etc.. This comes with a caveat that background jobs (to my knowledge) fail once they encounter an error - so bulk importing is cumbersome unless you can develop a script to batch create background jobs and track them via the ASpace API, which comes with its own challenges. I also don't recall what you can export from AT (EAD yes, but MARCXML subjects and agents too?).

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you'd like me to get you that docker file and if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Corey