[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Issue with Reorder Mode?

Angela Kroeger akroeger at unomaha.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:30:23 EST 2023

One of my colleagues reported that Reorder Mode has not been working correctly since the latest ArchivesSpace update.

Excerpted from her message to my department, with permission:

When moving multiple items at once, "Reorder Mode" used to allow you to specify the order in which you wanted to move them. As you clicked to the left of each archival object while holding down Ctrl, the numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. would pop up. Then, you could drag the entire set up or down and insert the items in that same order. [...]

After the update, ASpace doesn't allow this. You can move multiple items, but the little numbers don't pop up. ASpace still asks you to select "Add Items Before, Add Items as Children, or Add Items After," but then it will drop the items in the order it feels like. For example, if I move 3 items and select "Add Items Before," it will drop 2 of the items before and 1 after. Or, if I move 5 items and select "Add Items Before," it will intersperse them across 10 items. [...] So you have to revert to moving one item at a time.

I was able to reproduce the issue, so it's not a problem with her specific login, browser, or computer. I did see the numbers 1, 2, 3 when I selected the items to be moved, but they were very faint, possibly invisible on some screens depending on contrast settings. Regardless, the order didn't matter. "Add Items Before" dropped the selected components in seemingly random order, some before and some after the target location, just as my colleague described.

Are other institutions experiencing this issue? Is there a fix?

Angela Kroeger
Metadata Coordinator
Archives and Special Collections
UNO Libraries | Criss Library 107
University of Nebraska at Omaha | unomaha.edu

402.554.4159
akroeger at unomaha.edu<mailto:akroeger at unomaha.edu>
They | Them | Their

[cid:89e2a84a-f1a6-4f19-b606-54a89130d0e9]