[Archivesspace_Users_Group] How are classifications filed?

Russell, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Russell at providence.org
Wed Nov 1 14:49:25 EDT 2023

Hi,

We are preparing for a migration of data into ASpace and have decided to use classifications to replicate our repository's system of record groups (some based on Sister of Providence names and numbers). We were discussing whether to use leading zeroes in our classification IDs and tested some fake classifications with and without leading zeroes to find out. The result is perplexing to me. An alphabetical sort by title does not seem to sort alphabetically or numerically in the correct order. Here is a screenshot of the results:

[cid:image001.png at 01DA0CB9.55C04D00]
Does anyone know how this is programmed to sort? Generally, does collective wisdom favor using leading zeroes when numerical sorting is desired?

We are on version 3.3.1

Thanks for any insights,

Elizabeth Russell
Senior Archivist
Providence Archives
4800 37th Ave. S.W.
Seattle, WA 98126-2793
(206) 923-4011
elizabeth.russell at providence.org<mailto:elizabeth.russell at providence.org>
providence.org/archives | sistersofprovidence.net