[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Batch deleting unassociated top containers

Dan Michelson dmichelson at smith.edu
Wed May 31 12:12:37 EDT 2023

Hi Lev,

I regularly delete unassociated top containers since it's so easy to end up
with them and have never had problems.

The only precaution I take is not to delete them when anyone else is doing
work that might involve creation of new top containers on the off chance
that they might have created a top container but not linked it to anything
in the moment that I ran the search.

Unless you have workflows that involve creating new top containers in
advance of linking them to records (which is very unlikely, we have an odd
use case where we do that under certain circumstances), I can't think of
any other potential issues.

All the best,

Dan

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 12:01 PM Earle, Lev <learle at library.rochester.edu>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> This is a bit of a silly question, but I’ve just stumbled on how to batch
> delete unassociated top containers in the back end, and wanted to see if
> anyone else had noticed any adverse effects when doing this. It would
> certainly be nice to get rid of all of them at once, but considering we
> have almost 6000 of them (I’m hiding my face in shame), we’re a little
> nervy about pushing that button.
>

> Cheers,
>
> -Lev.
>

> ___________________________
>
> Lev Earle - *they/them *
>
> Special Collections Processing Archivist – RBSCP
>
> University of Rochester River Campus Libraries
>

> I am currently working from the Library Annex on Mondays 9-6, remotely on
> Tuesdays 11-7:30, and on site at Rhees Wednesday-Friday, 9-6pm. If you need
> to reach me urgently, please text or call me at 401.369.0330.

Dan Michelson
Collections Archivist
Smith College Special Collections

For current library access and services details, see Library Services
During COVID-19
<https://libraries.smith.edu/library-services-during-covid-19>.