[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about OAI harvest of MARCXML records

Brian Harrington brian.harrington at lyrasis.org
Fri Mar 10 18:07:31 EST 2023

Hi Andy,

Try set=collection, with no “s”.  I think that’s your problem.

Brian

From: archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf of Andy Boze <Boze.1 at nd.edu>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2023 at 2:45 PM
To: Archivesspace Users Group <archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about OAI harvest of MARCXML records
Hi, all.

Before I get to the question, let me give some background. We've been
successfully harvesting EAD records from ASpace. We're currently running
v2.8.1 and when we test the harvest on v3.3 we consistently get timeout
problems where sometimes ASpace will simply stop responding or return
some error. Some of our records are very large, but this happens when we
request even relatively small records.

As a work-around, we wanted to try harvesting records in MARCXML format.
It doesn't provide all of the data that are included in the EAD record,
but it's good enough for our purposes.

The problem we have with harvesting records in MARCXML format is that
ASpace returns not only resource records (which are the only records
returned by EAD) but also records for archival objects, which we don't
want. That is, we want records with an identifier of

<identifier>oai:und//repositories/2/resources/1301</identifier>

but not

<identifier>oai:und//repositories/2/archival_objects/673199</identifier>

When I add set=fonds to the OAI URL, I do get just resources (plus
deleted records), which is pretty much what I would expect, but not all
of our resources are fonds. When I add set=collections, I start getting
archival objects as well as resources. And without specifying a set, I
get a mix of resources and archival objects. (Our harvester also doesn't
allow us to request specific records, just a set and a beginning/ending
date.)

So, my question is: Is there a way to harvest MARCXML records only for
resources?

I hope this makes sense. I've not an archivist, so I hope I'm stating
things adequately.

Andy

--
Andy Boze, Associate Librarian