[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Querying ArchivesSpace using MySQL Workbench

Margaret Kidd kiddm at vcu.edu
Tue Jun 20 15:12:42 EDT 2023

Hello all,

I recently gained access to a read-only copy of our production database
using MySQL Workbench. My hope is that I could use it to query our data to
create the kinds of reports we need. For example, I would like a better
shelf list report as the current option in ASpace doesn't suit our needs.

The problem is that my skills in this area are hopelessly out-of-date. The
last time I worked with MySQL was 20 years ago in my pre-archives life
(ugh, it hurts to write that sentence and realize how old I'm getting).
Does anyone have any tips or could point me to a basic tutorial that may
help? The stuff I've found so far isn't very helpful for me. I just need to
learn some quick and dirty basics to get at this information quickly.
Hopefully, I can spend some time later on tutorials to get more comfortable.

Margaret

Margaret Turman Kidd

Access and Electronic Records Archivist, Special Collections & Archives

VCU Libraries | Health Sciences Library

Virginia Commonwealth University

509 N. 12th Street / Box 980582, Richmond, VA 23298-0582

(804) 828-3152

kiddm at vcu.edu

Pronouns: she/her