[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Report on ArchivesSpace Governance Board 4th Quarter Meeting
benefiea at gvsu.edu
Mon Jun 12 12:35:02 EDT 2023
Dear ArchivesSpace members:
I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 4th Quarter meeting, which was held virtually on May 10.
We heard updates and discussed the following topics:
* An update from John Wilkin, from his unique perspective as former Founding Partner of ArchivesSpace and now CEO of our organizational home, Lyrasis. He highlighted areas of focus for Lyrasis, including improving hosting services. He also proposed a change in status for the organizational home representative to the board from voting member to ex officio member to avoid the appearance of conflicts of interest. A revision to the bylaws reflecting this change was later proposed and approved by the Board via email.
* An operations report that highlighted a recent training aimed at users outside the U.S. and the introduction of the new Consortium Provider program.
* The continued excellent work of TAC and UAC, including the active participation of different sub-teams in the Virtual Member Forum.
* The success of this year's community session, held in conjunction with the Virtual Member Forum.
* An update on the Nominating Committee's progress in identifying people for openings on the Councils and Governance Board for FY23-24. The board later approved appointments to TAC and UAC, and an election slate for open Governance Board positions via email.
The board considered and approved a FY23-24 budget focused on the continued growth of the software while providing additional support for vital community engagement efforts.
In response to concerns raised by a member institution about the ArchivesSpace Code of Conduct being used for a situation involving concerns received about a session at the Virtual Member Forum, the board considered both the incident and larger issues related to the Code of Conduct, discussion of harmful archival material, and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. The board determined that further clarity is needed in the Code of Conduct, both in timelines for handling incidents and processes when there is unintended harm. The board also affirmed that being an inclusive community necessitates further discussion and agreement as a community about how discussing harmful archival materials or past practices is approached in ArchivesSpace spaces. In the coming months, the board will develop a framework for a community review of the Code of Conduct that creates space for dialogue across the community. More information will be forthcoming.
As always, the Board welcomes your feedback. Feel free to reach out directly to me or to your elected representative.
Annie Benefiel, Chair
ArchivesSpace Governance Board
University Archivist and Digital Collections Librarian
Grand Valley State University
Allendale, MI 49401
benefiea at gvsu.edu<mailto:%7B%20props.email%20%7D>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Archivesspace_Users_Group