[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ASpace database issues

Peter Heiner ph448 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 16:15:42 EST 2023

Matthew Adair wrote on 2023-01-18 14:23:14:
> Version 2.5.2 of ASpace.  Version 8.0.30 of MySQL

A couple of versions prior to yours MySQL started explicitly reporting
'utf8mb3' where in the past it would say 'utf8'. That's because 'utf8' is
currently an alias for 'utf8mb3' and they want to deprecate 'utf8mb3' and make
'utf8' an alias of 'utf8mb4' instead.
ASpace 2.5.2 only recognises 'utf8' as an UTF-8 character set, this was fixed
in ASpace 2.7.1. I would consider upgrading to a more recent version if
possible.

> We get the following error in the log file:
> "The following MySQL database tables are not set to use UTF-8 for their
> character encoding:"
> and then it lists all of the database tables, and fails with an unable to
> connect to database error
>
> Encoding on the database and all of the tables are utf8mb3_general_ci

Short of the ASpace upgrade (or a database downgrade that might be even more
painful) the correct solution is to convert table data to 'utf8mb4', see
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/charset-unicode-conversion.html
for details on how to do that.

Hope that helps,