[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Report on ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter Meeting

Annie Benefiel benefiea at gvsu.edu
Fri Feb 17 10:46:28 EST 2023

Dear ArchivesSpace members:

I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter meeting, which was held virtually on February 1st and 8th. This year we continued our new model of having two sessions for the third quarter meeting. This allows time for both the usual business and for a deeper discussion of certain key topics such as continuing to advance DEIA work, benchmarking, and how the board can increase participation in and diversify governance.

Our regular reports included updates and discussions around:

  *   An operations report which highlighted progress with the updated roadmap, work around digital objects, and the implementation of the new training model.
  *   The continued excellent work of TAC and UAC. The group also discussed an issue the UAC and TAC leadership have identified with a greater than usual number of UAC members rotating off in July 2024.
  *   Financial reports, which show that the program's financial position continues to be strong.
Special topics included:

  *   The board was excited to hear from Vinny Barraza of Xavier University of Louisiana and Holly Smith of Spelman College regarding their experiences thus far with the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2049998863/ArchivesSpace+Diversity+Partnership> program. At the halfway point in this pilot program, the board members were pleased to hear what has been effective and consider planning for ways to continue to improve and extend the program.
  *   The board undertook an activity from the It Takes A Village (ITAV<https://itav.lyrasis.org/>) Sustainability toolkit<https://itav.lyrasis.org/toolkit/> around continuing education. It focused on ways to identify areas that help board members perform their role and consider ways to provide information or instruction to fill gaps.
  *   We started planning this year's Board Community Session designed to foster more direct engagement and communication between board and community members. Look for a separate announcement with date and time once those are finalized. We hope you can attend!
  *   In conjunction with the meeting, Nominating Committee Chair Sean Quimby presented a slate for this year's Committee. It was accepted and we are happy to report that the following individuals will serve on the committee doing important work to identify and encourage diverse voices to consider serving on the Governance Board. The call for nominations will go out later this spring, but please feel free to contact them if you have suggestions or are interested in ArchivesSpace service.
Name
Institution
Membership Level or Affiliation
Sean Quimby, Chair
University of Pennsylvania
Governance Board representative
Valerie Addonizio
Atlas Systems
Technical Advisory Council Chair
Regina Carra
American Folk Art Museum
User Advisory Council Chair
Courtney Dean
University of California, Los Angeles
Very Large
Suzanne Reller
University of Cincinnati
User Advisory Council Vice Chair
Caitlin Rizzo
Institute for Advanced Study
Very Small
Rachel Searcy
New York University
Technical Advisory Council Vice Chair
Joshua Shaw
Dartmouth College
Medium
Holly Smith
Spelman College
Small
Michelle Sweetser
Bowling Green State University
Large

The Board extends thanks to all of you for your continuing support and ongoing contributions to the community we have all created. We welcome your communications and comments at any time.

With best wishes,

Annie Benefiel
Chair, ArchivesSpace Governance Board

University Archivist and Digital Collections Librarian
University Libraries
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Grand Valley State University
Seidman House