[Archivesspace_Users_Group] upcoming listserv change to Google Groups

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed Dec 20 09:46:08 EST 2023

Hello ArchivesSpace members,

As noted in the last monthly update, Lyrasis, the organizational home for ArchivesSpace, is transitioning away from the Mailman platform for listservs to Google Groups in the near future. The ArchivesSpace member listservs, including the Users Group, will become Google Groups with email delivery after the transition. Right now the move is planned to occur between December 26 and January 1, but the work of setting up the groups and migrating accounts to some of the new listservs in preparation for the transition has already begun. All accounts subscribed to our member listservs at the time of the transition will be moved to the new platform, with equivalent settings to what users have currently.

You do not need to set up a Google account with the address currently subscribed to ArchivesSpace listservs if you only wish to send and receive list messages via email. If you want to use the web functionalities of Google Groups you will need to make sure the address you use with the listservs is associated with a Google account. Most listserv names will remain the same, but the new domain for the listservs will be lyralists.org rather than lyralists.lyrasis.org. You may want to make sure that the new listserv addresses are added to your address book or otherwise set not to be caught by any spam filters you have in place. If you have opted out from Google Groups in general, you will need to change that setting to get listserv mail.

For now the archives of our listservs through 2023 will be maintained on the current platform, and will stay there for at least a year. Some details of the transition are still to be determined, including how listserv archives will be available after the planned one-year period. We know that the archives of the Users Group listserv, in particular, are an important source of information for the community.

We are hopeful that the new platform will be useful in providing easier ways to post and access content, as well as easier administration of the lists overall. If you have any questions about this change, please feel free to get in touch with us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Senior Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>