[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Managing Unique Top Containers

Tara Laver tlaver at nelson-atkins.org
Tue Aug 1 11:43:35 EDT 2023

Hi, Herbert.

We create box numbers that contain designations for the collection number and the box number, and if a collection has multiple box 1s or box 2s, etc., because they start over with one with each series, we add a designation for the series in the alphanumeric string for the box number. So, for example, in this collection, https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/resources/2, there are six box 1s (see https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/resources/2/inventor), styled

Box RG01/02.S01.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/30> (series 1, box 1)
Box RG01/02.S02.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/34> (series 2 box 1)
Box RG01/02.S03.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/36> (series 3, box 1)
Box RG01/02.S04.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/51> (series 4, box 1)
Box RG01/02.S05.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/54> (series 5, box 1)
Box RG01/02.S06.01 <https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/top_containers/55> (series 6, box 1)
-where the “S” indicates the following number is the series number. If a collection does not have repeating box 1s by series but is through numbered, then we don’t include the S in the box number, as in this one, https://nelson-atkins.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/resources/1/inventory.
Hope this helps.
Best,
Tara Laver

Tara Z. Laver