[Archivesspace_Users_Group] using barcodes to track usage

Hughes, Melanie Elizabeth mehughes at ius.edu
Thu Apr 20 17:53:32 EDT 2023

Hi Molly,

I’m not sure what your ILS is under BiblioCommons, but at IU we have SIRSI and we can scan the barcode of an item and mark items used, like books someone pulled off a shelf and put on a cart, but didn’t check out. It’s anonymous but gives us a count of how many times an item has been used or browsed.

Hope that helps, but a great idea on barcoding the archival boxes to keep track of use—stealing it! 😉

A senior librarian and novice archivist,

Melanie

MELANIE E. HUGHES, MLS, MBA

Librarian, Coordinator of Technical Services

& Coordinator of Archives and Special Collections

Liaison to Education, Campus Archivist

Faculty co-sponsor  <https://www.facebook.com/iusgreenadiers> GREENadiers, Sustainability Club

Faculty co-sponsor  <https://www.facebook.com/JSUatIUSE> Jewish Student Union

Indiana University Southeast Library