[Archivesspace_Users_Group] [External] Collection item count?

Corey Schmidt Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:13:43 EDT 2022

Hi Karen and Paul,

2 ways come to mind for me: 1) Using the database, if you have access to it. 2) Using the API.

For using the database, it would be the quickest and easiest provided you have access to it via your hosting provider. If you do and are familiar with SQL, something like the following would work:

SELECT * FROM archival_object WHERE root_record_id = 704 AND (level_id = 892 OR level_id = 890)

root_record_id is the ASpace ID for the resource you are trying to isolate. level_id is whether the archival object is a “item” or a “file” – in the example, it searches for objects with either “item” or “file” level. I use MySQL Workbench and it gets me the # of objects returned for a quick and easy count.

For using the API, you don’t need special permissions from your hosting provider, so you can access the API just as easily as you would any data from the staff interface. This would be more involved, as you would need to write a  script to execute, but if you’re familiar with Python or something of the like, it can be done. There are 2 endpoints that would seem useful for this: Get the list of URIs of this published resource and all published archival objects contained within<https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/#get-the-list-of-uris-of-this-published-resource-and-all-published-archival-objects-contained-within-ordered-by-tree-order-i-e-if-you-fully-expanded-the-record-tree-and-read-from-top-to-bottom>, or Fetch tree information for the top-level resource record<https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/#fetch-tree-information-for-the-top-level-resource-record>. The first endpoint would be good for getting all items that are published in a collection, but may include archival objects that are Series, sub-Series, etc. (aka not real items) and it excludes unpublished items. The second gets top level items, but if you have series, sub-series with children, then you would have to iterate through each of those to get an accurate count of every item (published or unpublished). Thankfully that endpoint gives you the data to point to those series/parents of children as precomputed waypoints, I believe, but it’s the more involved of the 2 endpoints to get right. Here’s an example<https://github.com/uga-libraries/aspace_scripts/blob/master/check_child_counts.py> when I used that endpoint to get all item counts that were greater or equal to 1000.

Paul’s way of doing it is straightforward and easy, so if that works, then that’s what I would recommend.

Hope this helps,

Corey