[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Performance tuning

Blake Carver blake.carver at lyrasis.org
Thu Sep 15 11:11:14 EDT 2022

> ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx16144m"

If the site needs 16 gigs of RAM to keep going, something is probably wrong.

> AppConfig[:indexer_records_per_thread] = 25
> AppConfig[:indexer_thread_count] = 7
> AppConfig[:indexer_solr_timeout_seconds] = 300

Messing around with those indexer settings is generally a good idea for sites with ALLOTTA records and/or a decent number of people adding new records. "It Depends" is about the only answer for those settings. If you have really deep/complex resources you'll probably want to change those up. Try slowing it down a bit. Try 2/50 or 2/25. You could even slow it WAY down to 1/1. It'll take forever to finish, but you can see exactly what it's doing each time.

BUT

If your site was OK and now it's not, maybe something else has gone wrong.

Check your logs. Make sure you're running the log_level on debug to catch everything possible.

- Look for ERROR or FATAL, maybe Java out of memory errors?
Sometimes there will be an Error or error but it's usually ERROR

-Is your indexer just running forever? Maybe it's caught in a crashing loop?
 "grep Indexed" do those numbers keep going up and down?
You sould see:
 Indexed 102303 of 102303 archival_object records in repository
Only once, you don't want to see that count going up and up and then suddenly
 Indexed 1 of 102303 archival_object records in repository

- Also check your proxy logs, maybe there's a bad bot hitting the PUI way too hard.

- Also just check that the server doesn't have anything new running and using up all the resources.

The answer is usually in the logs.