[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Advice for reordering large numbers of records

Corey Schmidt Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu
Wed Sep 14 08:54:09 EDT 2022

Hey Catie,

I haven’t used the bulk_updater plugin (https://github.com/hudmol/as_spreadsheet_bulk_updater), but if the spreadsheet you re-upload to ASpace maintains any changes to the re-ordering of archival objects, I think that’s the easiest way to go. Anna Robinson-Sweet at UCLA, Wendy Scheir at the New School, and James Bullen at Hudson Molonglo would be able to provide more details about the plugin and what it can do (presentation link for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW1qB_6VGI).

Another option would be to write a script to use the ASpace API to reposition the archival objects in alphabetical order. You could use the Get the children of an Archival Object endpoint (https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/?python#get-the-children-of-an-archival-object) to get a list of all the archival objects in the series, then use the script to alphabetize that list and change the "position":### field to match the order of the alphabetized list. Then use the Update an Archival Object endpoint (https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/api/?python#update-an-archival-object) to push the updated archival objects in their new positions to ASpace.

If there are no follow-ups in a week, I’ll try to spin up my local ASpace instance and test that plugin to see if it does what you’re asking.

Hope this helps,

Corey
Corey Schmidt
University of Georgia Special Collections Libraries | Project Management Librarian/Archivist
Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu<mailto:Corey.Schmidt at uga.edu>