[Archivesspace_Users_Group] collection_id/Resource Identifier in import spreadsheet

Leah Tams leah.tams at duke.edu
Wed Oct 26 09:54:17 EDT 2022

Hi Olivia,

I wonder if the identifier should actually appear with periods, rather than hyphens, between the elements? That is how we input them in our import spreadsheet at Duke. They appear as RL-12345 in ASpace, but in the spreadsheet we have to put RL.12345. I don’t have access to our database, though, so I’m not sure what they look like on that end.


MSLS in Archives & Records Management
Accessions Coordinator
Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University
leah.tams at duke.edu<mailto:leah.tams at duke.edu> | leahtams.org<http://www.leahtams.org/>

From: archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> On Behalf Of Olivia S Solis
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2022 9:43 AM
To: Archivesspace Users Group <archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] collection_id/Resource Identifier in import spreadsheet

Hello all,

We have been using the spreadsheet importer for bulk adding archival objects for years, using the EAD ID column to link to the correct resource. We had a situation pop up where we may not have that number assigned yet, but we want to upload part of the inventory. I tried using column B (collection_id/Resource identifier) to link to the right resource.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can't get the AOs to get created with column B. The documentation in the original Harvard spreadsheet (which we still use a version of because of a lot of customization added) defined the field like so: "The Resource "Identifier", aka collection-level unit_id, OR, could be internal resource record number from URL."

I keep getting the following error:  Row 6:    ERROR Row 6 will not be processed due to errors: This row is missing BOTH an EAD ID and URI
I tried the Identifier field:
[Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 8.34.36 AM.png]
I tried it as it appears in the database: "camh-arc-004438", null,null,null
I tried the path given in the URI:
[Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 8.34.50 AM.png]
And I tried just the numeric ID, in the case above 4398.

What am I doing wrong here? I can't think of many other identifiers that are unique to the record.


Olivia Solis, MSIS (she/her)
Metadata Coordinator
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
The University of Texas at Austin
2300 Red River St. Stop D1100
Austin TX, 78712-1426
(512) 232-8013
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/attachments/20221026/7968cfd1/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 5718 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL: <http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/attachments/20221026/7968cfd1/attachment.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image002.png
Type: image/png
Size: 6317 bytes
Desc: image002.png
URL: <http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/attachments/20221026/7968cfd1/attachment-0001.png>

More information about the Archivesspace_Users_Group mailing list