[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Books in the Archives

Nic Stanton-Roark ndroark at anderson.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:55:26 EDT 2022

Hi VivianLea,

We do this for the few manuscript collections we hold where we have taken
possession of the individuals' personal library. Typically we call the
series "library" or "personal library," and either enter book titles as
item level records or attach a pdf listing of the books as an external
document at the series level. In some cases, we have digitized versions of
notable individuals' (public domain) books to make annotations available,
and attach these as item level records in Personal Library series that
otherwise do not have item level description.

I'm not sure how well all of this gels with EAD, but our first priority is
making our holdings intelligible for researchers, and this seems intuitive
for our users. I'd be interested to hear any horror stories from other
users about similar setups, though.

*Nicholas Stanton-Roark*  |  Archivist  | Robert A. Nicholson University
Library
Anderson University  |  1100 E. Fifth St, Anderson, IN 46012
(765) 641-4285 <%28765%29%20641%204285>  |  ndroark at anderson.edu