[Archivesspace_Users_Group] updated ArchivesSpace roadmap

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Mon Dec 5 15:03:36 EST 2022

Hello ArchivesSpace members,

Now that we have a full development team again, we have updated the development roadmap<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/3243245569/Roadmap+as+of+December+2022> to reflect planned work for the next year. A few notes:

  *   We aim for three regular releases per year. If urgent updates are needed in between releases, we may put out additional releases. In calendar year 2023, we are projecting releases in January 2023, May 2023, and September 2023.

  *   The scheduled work is intended to match community user-facing priorities for the application with development capacity, while keeping in mind the ongoing need to maintain technical infrastructure and pay down technical debt. Some community priorities have not been scheduled at this time, but may be if additional resources or community partners become available.

  *   The roadmap provides high-level descriptions of development projects that are either underway already or planned for the future. When the work for a project has been delivered, fully tested, and deemed satisfactory it goes into the next regular release. If work is not ready by the scheduled time of the regular release it is usually moved to a future release. The release notes that accompany each release contain much more granular description of individual bug fixes and new features, as well as infrastructure work and refactoring, that are in the release.

  *   While there have been many twists and turns over the last three years, we aim to update the roadmap after each release. We are hopeful that this will be more predictable in 2023.

Thank you for all the community participation in identifying needs for the application and writing specifications, as well as your involvement in all stages of the development cycle, especially prioritization and testing, . Having a community that really cares, and puts its actual and proverbial money where its mouth is, is so important in sustaining ArchivesSpace. If you have questions about the roadmap or individual projects, please let me know.

Best,
Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager