[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Indexing and search issues

Tom Hanstra hanstra at nd.edu
Thu Mar 11 15:53:35 EST 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 1:25 PM Andrew Morrison <
andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> *> I also notice that indexing overall slows down as it gets farther into
> our records.*
>
> I haven't observed a slow-down in indexing. At least not noticeably enough
> to cause me to want to measure it. As I mentioned, there are some latter
> stages of the indexing process (building trees, committing changes) that
> can run for a long time without logging anything. But for the main indexing
> of archival objects, the last 1000 doesn't seem to take longer than the
> first 1000.

*I really only have one set of data to work from, but I've been tracking
times for PUI indexing especially. During the first hour, it was able to
complete193300 records. I'm assuming it was able to do that because it was
covering ground it had passed before the Java Heap error caused the
previous attempt to stop. But looking later in the processing, hour 3 it
indexed 41500 records, hour 12 it was down to 22250 records, and now in the
last hour (hour 23) it has only completed 950 records. That is why I was
asking about the slow down.*

> *> Is an external Solr a good idea for a site like ours?*
>
> Hard to say. There was a discussion on the performance benefits of running
> external Solr on here last month:
>

> http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/2021-February/thread.html#8168
>
> And documentation here:
>
> https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/provisioning/solr.html
> Whether it affects indexing speed for large numbers of records I cannot
> say. We made the decision to use it before all our data was migrated into
> ArchivesSpace.
>
> *Looks as if separating Solr out is a good idea, based upon feedback. I'll
work on that (assuming indexing finally finishes at some point) *

*Tom Hanstra*
*Sr. Systems Administrator*
hanstra at nd.edu