[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Issue: Merging Top Containers breaks Linked Accession Records

Joshua Dull dullj at newschool.edu
Mon Feb 1 14:24:09 EST 2021

Hello,

Our archives encountered a bug while merging Top Containers in version
2.8.1 of Archives Space that causes any linked Accession records to become
inaccessible via the SUI (500 error). We still haven't found a way to
restore these records.

 After merging a Top Container that had 4 linked Accession records into a
new Top Container with no linked records, we can no longer view or edit
these 4 linked records and they were not linked to the new Top Container. I
also tried the same steps on the Sandbox and got the same results. Here's
what the broken record looks like in the sandbox:
http://sandbox.archivesspace.org/accessions/3.

This is the start of the Backend error we get when trying to view these 4
records:

    undefined method `gsub' for [SubContainer, TopContainer]:Array
    uri:classloader:/jsonmodel.rb:105:in `parse_reference'

I pulled the JSON objects for these 4 records with the API to see what was
happening with the data. The 'ref' value for
instances.sub_containers.top_container should have a uri, but instead has
an array.

What is expected:
    "ref": "/repositories/3/top_containers/2861"

What we have:
    "ref": [
                        "SubContainer",
                        "TopContainer"
                    ]

I tried replacing the 'ref' value with the correct uri string and posting
the updated JSON object, but I'm getting an error: undefined method `id'
for nil:NilClass

If anyone has any advice on the bug or how to fix the records I'd love to
get some feedback.

Best,
Joshua

--