[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Managing media instances in collection

Allison-Bunnell, Jodi jodi.allisonbunnell at montana.edu
Tue Dec 7 20:09:20 EST 2021

A question of practice for your collected wisdom.

We would like to be able to pull a report for all media in our collections—audio, video, film, and digital (computer) media. I do not have access to custom reporting and would need to generate this from a standard report. We need to be able to audit by format (e.g. how many reel to reel tapes do we have? How many obsolete floppy discs do we have?) in order to identify vulnerable media and plan migrations.

Since the media is an instantiation of a described object, I’d like to be able to do this from a standard vocabulary in the instance/container type. It looks like PBcore would be a possible choice for the audio, video, and film, but I need a concise list of computer media. Neither DCMI formats nor MIME types fit the bill.

We do not have the resources to take an elaborate approach to this, and I (always!) want to use standardized practices rather than creating local ones whenever possible.

Does anyone have a practice that would fit the bill?

Best, Jodi

Jodi Allison-Bunnell
(pronouns: She, her)
Head of Archives and Special Collections, University Archivist
Montana State University Library
jodi.allisonbunnell at montana.edu<mailto:jodi.allisonbunnell at montana.edu> ​