[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Server slows down over time

Tom Hanstra hanstra at nd.edu
Wed Apr 28 11:30:28 EDT 2021

We continue our trek to get ArchivesSpace running locally. We are currently
doing a lot of testing with OAI and other background activity.

What we are seeing in our work is that, over time, the server will slow
down. Searches and updates which take just a few seconds after a restart
later get to a point where they take 30-40 seconds or longer. Then we
restart and things speed up again. I saw similar slowdowns when indexing
but did not have the ability to restart then because that would have
interrupted indexing.

Have others seen these types of issues?  Is this a Java thing that might be
happening? Or something else. My current Java settings are the values that
come out of the box:

    ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx1024m"
    ASPACE_JAVA_XSS="-Xss2m"

I did increase these when I was indexing so perhaps they need to be tweaked
again?  Are there ways of figuring out the proper values or is it just
trial and error?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and it is something else entirely.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have,
Tom

--
*Tom Hanstra*
*Sr. Systems Administrator*