[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agent/Subject record merging in multi-repository setting

Coup, Betts elizabeth_coup at harvard.edu
Mon Sep 28 10:10:29 EDT 2020

Greetings all,

The ArchivesSpace Subject and Agent Taskforce at Harvard Library is working to develop best practices for subject and agent record creation, editing, and merging, and we're wondering if anyone might have experience with merging agent and subject records in a multi-repository setting in ArchivesSpace? We're currently exploring potential data clean-up options but are concerned about what happens when agent records linked to multiple different repositories' resource records are merged (and likewise for subject records and resource records). Do all the resource records remain linked to the merged, single agent record (or subject record)? How were you able to ensure no links were lost to other repositories' resource records?

If other institutions are in a similar multi-repository situation and completed merging successfully, would you mind sharing your workflows or processes and how you ensured there weren't links lost between agents/subjects and resource records?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best,
Betts Coup
Paula Aloisio
Julianna Kuipers