[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Digital Object Module Use

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 17 10:29:25 EDT 2020

We use digital objects in ArchivesSpace to link archival object records
with both online resources (mostly digitized images and documents on our
digital collections site <https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections>) and
corresponding packages (AIPs) in our digital preservation repository.

For materials that are published online, the digital object includes the
item's URL. Our finding aids system uses this URL to access a IIIF manifest
for images published online, which lets us to include linked thumbnail
images within the context of the finding aid - here's an example of that
<https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/findingaids/mc00456/contents>.

For packages in the preservation repository, we mint a common identifier
(UUID) that is stored in both systems (in the repo and in AS as the digital
object identifier), which allows us to link between them.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM Huggard, Marcella <mhuggard at ku.edu> wrote:

> Hi Bailey,
>

> We’re connecting to our digital objects in Islandora – of course, our
> digital management system has way more digital collections available than
> just what’s from our manuscript collections, so we try to be very clear and
> upfront about that in our public user interface so researchers know to go
> to Islandora for other digital collections, but we do like the ability to
> link directly to the finding aid. We’re also considering ArchivesSpace the
> single source of truth for manuscript collections information online, so
> having the linked digital objects display there falls into that workflow.
>

> Our public interface is at https://archives.lib.ku.edu/ if you want to
> take a look!
>

> Marcella

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries