[Archivesspace_Users_Group] question about exporting ref ids and related q about component unique ids

Rachel Aileen Searcy rachel.searcy at nyu.edu
Tue Sep 15 14:40:29 EDT 2020

Hi Wendy,

I just wanted to follow-up on Noah's plug (heh) for the digitization work
order plugin. The plugin allows the archivist to generate a tsv file of
descriptive metadata for selected components within a resource record, and
one of the fields included in that is the refid. Users have the option to
download a report of the metadata, or to additionally generate a work order
that creates and assigns component unique identifiers to the components
(unless there is already a value in that field); the newly created cuid is
then inserted into that field in the component record. We had previously
relied on Archivists' Toolkit refids for file naming during digitization,
but couldn't do that with the longer ones in ArchivesSpace, which prompted
this cuid-based workflow. We have instructions on how to run the
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/11kWxbFTazB6q5fDNBWDHJxMf3wdVsp8cd7HzjEhE-ao/edit#>
plugin
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/11kWxbFTazB6q5fDNBWDHJxMf3wdVsp8cd7HzjEhE-ao/edit#>
in
our local user manual here.

We handle the digital object record creation piece through a
complementary utility
script <https://github.com/NYULibraries/aspace-do-update>that associates
the newly created digital object with the resource component's URI, which
is exported in the work order.

I hope this helps, but also feel free to get in touch if you have further
questions.

Rachel

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:15 PM Noah Huffman <noah.huffman at duke.edu> wrote:

> Hi Wendy,
>

> Your method would work and it generally describes a workflow we’ve used
> from time to time.
>

> To simplify getting the refIDs and other component metadata out of ASpace
> and into CSV, you might consider installing this plugin:
> https://github.com/hudmol/digitization_work_order
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_hudmol_digitization-5Fwork-5Forder&d=DwMGaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=WwSkYr7X9POdZNK4180yTjrK5hSljcuCPIN--y1VRZk&m=QVGt48Wtl7Fiy9usykxqVm8sMx0Xs8e_0TXQSQg8sjU&s=KLvasHYORJKubYNZkQWVsdImaWKhOeAn_wCtYDdmzXM&e=>
>

> There are other ways to use the API to batch create/link DOs to archival
> objects depending on your use case, workflow, and your comfort level
> writing scripts and working with the API, but integrating the plugin above
> into the workflow you’ve described is probably the easiest way to batch
> create and link DOs using the staff interface…at least as far as I know.
>

> -Noah
>

> ================
>
> Noah Huffman
>
> Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
>
> David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
>
> Duke University | 919-660-5982
>
> http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__library.duke.edu_rubenstein_&d=DwMGaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=WwSkYr7X9POdZNK4180yTjrK5hSljcuCPIN--y1VRZk&m=QVGt48Wtl7Fiy9usykxqVm8sMx0Xs8e_0TXQSQg8sjU&s=mUTxJYy5xXwaSWOok1dnVsS6C24mUANQWCqjfIo7XG0&e=>
>
> Pronouns: he / him / his

Rachel Searcy
Accessioning Archivist, Archival Collections Management
New York University Libraries
212.998.2539 | rachel.searcy at nyu.edu
My pronouns are she/her/hers