[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - October 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Oct 30 09:44:52 EDT 2020

  [cid:image001.jpg at 01D6AEA1.50AF6D10]

ArchivesSpace Update – October 2020

Development

We're finishing up the next release and expect to have a release candidate by early next week. ArchivesSpace 2.8.1 will include improvements to the spreadsheet importer, additional settable record type preferences, bug fixes and small feature improvements, and infrastructure upgrades. It will also include some performance, indexer, and small backend and staff interface improvements courtesy of work Hudson Molonglo did for Queensland State Archives. Once the release candidate is available we'll have a small window for additional testing and then hope to have the release itself ready in early November.

You can preview these changes on our test server at http://test.archivesspace.org/staff (username admin/password admin). We encourage you to test these improvements, especially for the spreadsheet importer, with your own data if you can. Every bit of testing and feedback helps us ensure that the changes are doing what they should and improves the release.

Position Announcement: ArchivesSpace Technical Lead

We are still accepting applications for the opening on our team to be the next Technical Lead for ArchivesSpace. The Technical Lead works with a wide-ranging group of community stakeholders and is responsible for the overall development of the software application and management of the community-based code contribution process. The Technical Lead works to engage a broad set of developers to participate in the project, providing technical guidance, support and leadership to maintain a robust developer community.

This position is part of a geographically distributed team, and, as such, applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are very welcome.

To learn more, or to submit your resume and cover letter, please visit https://lyrasis.isolvedhire.com/jobs/145014.html. If you know of someone who may be interested, or if you are interested yourself, please feel free to reach out to Christine Di Bella at christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org> with any questions.

Hacktoberfest 2020

Thank you to everyone who participated in Hacktoberfest<https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/> this October. Contributors to the ArchivesSpace GitHub repository this month were Blake Carver, Mark Cooper, Alicia Detelich, Christine Di Bella, Bobbi Fox, Brian Harrington, Joshua Shaw, and Lora Woodford. Thank you all!

In addition to the official Hacktoberfest prize options, ArchivesSpace is awarding an ArchivesSpace swag bag to the community member who submitted the most pull requests in the month of October. And the winner of the ArchivesSpace swag bag is… Joshua Shaw!

Hacktoberfest may be over, but community code contributions to ArchivesSpace are always welcome! To learn more about submitting a pull request for ArchivesSpace, visit our wiki.<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/39682053/Submitting+a+Pull+Request>

ArchivesSpace Anti-racism and Inclusion Initiatives Progress

Thank you to everyone who has participated in our ongoing discussions and feedback opportunities around anti-racism and inclusion. We have created a section of the ArchivesSpace wiki devoted to the community-supported initiatives that have come out of these discussions. It includes information about the initiatives themselves as well as links to resources and work in the wider archives and related communities.

We will be adding to these pages as the initiatives develop and grow, and there will be many different ways for community members to get involved. You can follow the progress here<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1737261057/Anti-racism+and+Inclusion+Initiatives>.

Please reach out to us if you have questions or feedback about any current ArchivesSpace anti-racism and inclusion initiatives or would like to suggest new work to be done. Our email is ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org or you can submit feedback anonymously here.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/anti-racismfeedbackform> Thank you for working with us to make ArchivesSpace – as an application, a community, and a program – a richer, more inclusive place.

Take a Break with ArchivesSpace is going on hiatus after October 30

We’ll be hosting our final casual open call via zoom at 12pm ET today before going on hiatus. We may revive the breaks in some form in the future, but until then we look forward to seeing you at this final call.

Thanks to everyone who has joined us since we started these calls in March. Whether you came to one call or more than 20, it’s been great getting to know so many of you better and sharing ArchivesSpace and non-ArchivesSpace thoughts.

With no set agenda or presentation for these calls, this forum is an opportunity to connect, chat and recharge. If you’d like to join us for today's call, you can find the connection information at https://archivesspace.org/archives/6177.

Next ArchivesSpace Community Open Call November 11

Please join us for our next community Zoom call on November 11, 2020 at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT). This is an opportunity to hear updates from each other and encourage group discussion.

This is a space to surface news, ideas, and challenges related to ArchivesSpace. This might be an especially good chance to talk about non-technical questions or ideas that you weren’t quite sure about posting on the Users Group listserv but really would like help with from us or your peers.

If you have a question or topic you'd like to have addressed in the call, email Jessica Crouch at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org> by November 10 at 5pm ET.

Atlas Systems Webinar Announcement: Know Thy Config: Inheritance

[Posted on behalf of our Registered Service Provider Atlas Systems]

Atlas Systems Webinar: Know Thy Config: Inheritance

When: Wed, November 4th, 2020, 2-3pm EST

Please join Atlas Systems' Special Collections & Archives Technical Consultant Valerie Addonizio for a continuation of the introduction to the ArchivesSpace 'config'. This session will focus on inheritance. This webinar assumes attendees have attended or viewed the one hour recording from the first part of this webinar series, Know Thy Config: An Introduction<https://training.atlas-sys.com/Course/Details/4336>. The slides for that introductory presentation are also available via that link. A recording of the inheritance session will be available if you are unable to attend the live presentation.

Please register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/archivesspace-know-thy-config-part-2-inheritance-tickets-125032163567> for the Atlas Systems webinar Know Thy Config: Inheritance on Wed, November 4th, 2020, 2-3pm EST through EventBrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/archivesspace-know-thy-config-part-2-inheritance-tickets-125032163567>. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email. Zoom info will follow in a second email two days before the event.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since September 30 include:

  *   Baltimore Museum of Industry Archives (Baltimore, MD)
  *   Johnson House Historic Site (Philadelphia, PA)
  *   The Field Library (Peekskill, NY)

As of September 30, we have 419 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]