[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Sub-subseries custom usage?

Daniel Michelson dmichelson at smith.edu
Tue Oct 20 12:41:35 EDT 2020

Hi Lev,

I don't believe there's any concept of a sub-subseries distinct from a
subseries in EAD or ArchivesSpace.  Nesting subseries is a very reasonable
approach to large complex collections, so I'd encourage you to consider
re-examining your display code, rather than changing the way you encode
data.

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Dan

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Earle, Lev <learle at library.rochester.edu>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I’m wondering if anyone out there has configured their instance to make
> sub-subseries level designations available.
>

> I’m currently working with some very large collection imports where
> sub-subseries would be useful, and know that EAD allows for I think a
> maximum of twelve levels (or something faintly ridiculous), but also know
> that the out-of-the-box AS doesn’t include a sub-subseries level
> designation. I know you can technically nest subseries as children under
> each other, but this feels like bad form and plays havoc with our display
> code. We could probably figure out something ourselves to hack in a
> sub-subseries designation, but I wanted to see what/if anyone else was
> doing, as we’d like to try and build consistently with other institutions
> to make future inter-institutional collaboration go more smoothly.
>

> Many thanks for any help! I’m new to this listserv and have been learning
> a lot following conversations but still have a long ways to go.
>

> Cheers,
>
> -Lev.
>

> ___________________________
>
> Lev Earle
>
> Special Collections Processing Archivist – RBSCP
>
> University of Rochester River Campus Libraries
>
> *they/them pronouns*

Dan Michelson
Project Manager Archivist
Smith College Special Collections

Due to COVID-19, Special Collections is offering limited, remote reference
and digitization services and ongoing consultations for faculty, students,
and other researchers. Smith course support is our primary responsibility
at this time. All other requests and inquiries will be responded to as we
are able.

For information about Smith College’s response to Covid-19, please visit
the Smith College Libraries <http://bit.ly/SCLcovid-19> and Smith College
<https://www.smith.edu/student-life/health-wellness/coronavirus> websites.
For information about library services during this time, information is
available on our website.