[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Mixed content causing errors in OAI response?

Michelle Paquette mpaquette at smith.edu
Thu May 21 11:20:11 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I'm analyzing the various metadata responses via OAI-PMH from our instance
of ArchivesSpace, and believe I've found a bug but wanted to ask the
collective wisdom before I file a ticket about it in case something weird
is happening specifically with our data.

Certain types of mixed content (I've found it happen specifically with
<title>, though I'm still looking for other examples) seem to lead to the
content within that set of tags being moved to the front of a note in the
MODS, DC, and dcterms response metadata.

For example, the Scope and Contents note for the Lola Ridge papers in its
raw format reads "The Lola Ridge Papers consist of manuscripts,
correspondence, art work, biographical material, clippings, diaries,
memorabilia, photographs, reviews, and her published works. The manuscript
material consists of drafts of the poems published in <title
render=\"italic\">Firehead </title> (1929)..." In the MODS, DC, and dcterms
OAI-PMH responses, however, we get "Firehead The Lola Ridge Papers consist
of manuscripts, correspondence, art work, biographical material, clippings,
diaries, memorabilia, photographs, reviews, and her published works. The
manuscript material consists of drafts of the poems published in (1929)..."

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Michelle

--
Michelle Paquette
(she/her)
mpaquette at smith.edu

Note re:Smith College Special Collections' Covid-19 response:

The Special Collections reading room is closed. As of March 18th, all
Special Collections staff will be working remotely. Smith course support is
our primary responsibility at this time.

Minimal reference services will be managed remotely by staff. Reference
inquiries that require access to physical materials will be held in order
of when they were received and responded to once the campus is reopened.
Expect a four to six week delay, minimum. There is a moratorium on
digitization services.

For information about Smith College’s response to Covid-19, please visit
the college’s official website
<https://www.smith.edu/student-life/health-wellness/coronavirus>. For
information about library services during this time, information is
available on our website
<https://libraries.smith.edu/library-services-during-covid-19>.