[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Extreme sluggishness with classifications

Harmeyer, Neal A harmeyna at purdue.edu
Thu May 21 10:07:04 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Purdue is in the same situation with slowing classifications workflows. After initiating a project earlier this year to attach a classification to each accession or resource record we have also seen a noted increase in load times when attempting to attach a classification to an accession or resource record on the staff side interface. We had an identical experience in 2.6.0 and recently upgraded to 2.7.1, where the issue persists. As others shared, the load time appears to be directly related to the number of records attached to classifications.

We also experience increasing load times when viewing/editing the linked records in the classifications module itself on the staff side. The public interface, which we use, is slow but still loading.

We have five classifications in total (none have children); the largest classification has 835 records attached at this time, which doesn’t seem like enough to cause the slowing response times we’re seeing.

The best guess I have would be that every time one attempts to add a classification through the GUI the system tries to load every record linked to the classification before providing the selection list.

I see that there is a ticket (ANW-652<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/projects/ANW/issues/ANW-652>) from a few years back that Cory had put forth. This is an increasing work impairment for our unit. Any improvement would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Neal
--
Neal Harmeyer