[Archivesspace_Users_Group] MARC importer to handle URLs in 555 and 856 fields?

Kevin W. Schlottmann kws2126 at columbia.edu
Fri May 1 15:04:53 EDT 2020

Hi all,

The metadata standards subgroup of the Technical Advisory Council (TAC) has
been reviewing the published mappings for the MARCXML resource importer.
One question that came up in our discussion was the handling of URLs in the
MARC 555 and 856 $u subfields. Both of these fields use the subfield $u to
point to external web pages; in the archival context these are often links
to full finding aids.  The current MARC importer ignores these two fields.
(We will add that fact to the mappings, to make explicit that MARC data in
these fields will be lost on import.)

We are reaching out to the community, and see 1) if there is interest in
opening a ticket to request the 555 and 856 fields be added to the
importer, and if so 2) willingness to help spec out the desired default
behavior.

We ask for 2) because these fields are used in many different and specific
ways, and one concern we have is that any default behavior will serve only
a small subset of use cases, while most institutions would have to work out
local customizations. In short, this may be a place to leave well enough
alone.

Best,

Kevin

--