[Archivesspace_Users_Group] batch importing Agents

Andrew Morrison andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 05:01:53 EDT 2020

If you import a collection from an EAD file then any persname, famname and corpname it contains will be converted into agent records (the ones not already in the system with precisely the same spelling and source - any small differences will created duplicates) and linked to the resource and/or its child archival objects.

If your collections aren't encoded in EAD, it might be worth evaluating whether doing a one-off conversion of the one with the thousands of agents to EAD would be worthwhile, because I believe any method of pre-loading a batch of agents first will then require you to link them to the collection one-by-one in the staff interface, as I do not believe there is a direct API method to do that in bulk.

Also be sure to set your repository and/or global preferences to publish by default first if you want all the agents to be visible in the public user interface. And you may need to force a full re-index afterwards.

Andrew.