[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Are ASpace-created ref IDs unique?

Noah Huffman noah.huffman at duke.edu
Fri Mar 6 09:16:27 EST 2020

Teresa,

If you migrated from Archivist Toolkit and preserved those AT-generated ref_IDs in ASpace during the migration (e.g. ref118_up1), it’s likely that you’ll run into a few dupes.  My understanding is that the migration appended the underscore and those three extra characters to the original AT ref_ids, but in some cases that strategy was not sufficient to guarantee uniqueness, especially if you have a sizable number of archival objects if your database.  We have definitely encountered this problem when using ref_IDs outside of the system as you describe. We were storing the ref_ids in our repository and using them to auto-generate digital objects in ASpace and link those objects to their corresponding archival object.  We noticed the duplicate ref_ID problem when digital objects were being linked to archival objects in the wrong resource.

ASpace does enforce uniqueness of ref_IDs within a given resource record, but not across resources.

-Noah

Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University | 919-660-5982
http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/