[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Better notifying users of digital content presence

Jordon Steele jsteele at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 28 10:53:27 EST 2020

Hello,

When our collections have digital content associated with them, our practice is to add an "Existence and Location of Copies" note to the collection level indicating the presence of digital content like digitized copies of the originals. (We do other stuff at lower levels, too.) However, by default, this note only appears if you click the "Expand All" button. This means that users and staff often request boxes-especially small collections-without noticing that all or part of the collection is scanned.

We're considering changing the order of the notes so that this note features more prominently, above the "Expand All" fold. I have two questions.

1)      Is this something that is configurable in the standard staff-side interface of ASpace, or would the PUI plug-in need to be edited? (I think the answer is the latter, but just confirming I am not missing something.)

2)      Bumping the note above the "Expand All" fold is just the first idea that came to mind. Do you have other ways you signal to users on the collection-level page the presence of digital content? If so, I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance, and sorry if this has been discussed before!

Best,

Jordon

Jordon Steele
Hodson Curator of the University Archives
Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21218