[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Language data in 2.7.0 not exporting to EAD

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Thu Oct 31 09:13:11 EDT 2019

Hi Kevin and Rachel,

Right now the behavior for language of materials is that controlled values are exported in EAD2002 when there is not language of materials note. If there is a language of materials note, that takes precedence and is all that comes out in the EAD. All language-related fields and notes come out in an EAD3 export. This was done according to a community specification. If you are seeing behavior different than that, it would be great to know if you notice any differences depending on what combination or number of language-related values are in the record.

We’d like to hear from others (or the Metadata Standards subteam, though, since Kevin’s the leader of that group, I guess we are!) to confirm before making changes to this for a future release of ArchivesSpace. Feedback during the release candidate phase is always especially useful (an unsolicited plug for more community testing 😊), but it’s appreciated at any time.

In the interim, export behavior like this can be changed with a custom export plugin. It sounds like NYU already has one for EAD exports, and there are good examples to share from around the community (though I’d imagine all predate this recent language work). Because the languages area was reworked, some language-related fields now have different names or properties, so it would be a good time to update those custom export plugins to work with 2.7.0 and future versions in any case.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>