[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Creating location records - how?

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 10 11:01:19 EDT 2019

We just ran into this issue last week. From what I can tell, the permission
to update location records is tied to the permission to manage the
repository ("manage this repository (change groups and other settings)"). I
couldn't find any documentation to back this up but found this setting in
the code:

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/8ffdb952cce8c8804392c229772ae68a00065bcc/backend/app/lib/bootstrap_access_control.rb#L209-L212

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:51 AM Nick Butler <npwb2 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're currently running v2.5.2 on our development system (we aren't live
> yet) and we're running into a peculiar problem with the permission
> "update_location_record".
>
> As far as we can tell, two users have been set up with the same level of
> permissions yet only one can create and edit location records. Pulling
> their records via the [:GET] /users/:id API endpoint shows that one has the
> "update_location_record" for all their repositories and also for the
> "_archivesspace" global repository, yet the other doesn't have this
> permission anywhere. The full list of permissions acquired via the [:GET] /
> permissions endpoint doesn't even include this permission; nor does the
> permission table of our underlying database. I tried adding it to the other
> user's record by POSTing a modified user object to the [:POST] /users/:id
> endpoint but this seems to have had no effect.
>
> Basically, how does one go about getting this permission? And is there a
> reason it doesn't show up in either the database or [:GET] /permissions?
> Could this be something that's resolved by upgrading from v2.5.2? Any
> advice would be very welcome, as this will become quite a pressing issue
> for us soon.
>
> Many thanks,
> Nick
>
> --
>
> *Nick Butler*
> *Software Developer*
> *Digital Services*
> *Cambridge University Library*
> *West Road*
> *Cambridge CB3 9DR, UK*
>
> *npwb2 at cam.ac.uk* <npwb2 at cam.ac.uk>
>
> *Internal tel: 33067*

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries