[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Working with multiple ASpace strings

Rees, John (NIH/NLM) [E] reesj at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Wed May 29 11:43:41 EDT 2019

Hi all,

This question isn't aspace-centric, but for those of you that have multiple deployment strings (dev, qa, production) and that use the PUI, what is your best practice for entering new data or massaging existing data?

  1.  Do you test load/edit in QA then re-run the job in production?
  2.  Or do you load/edit in QA and replicate/auto-deploy to production? Can you just copy the database and re-index?
  3.  Not agonize over mistakes and just do it all in production?
  4.  Something else?

Do you worry about keeping the strings in synch?

Our old process was like #1, but we had separate systems for generating EAD and public facing search/discovery. With Aspace we are adding additional customers, more data types, less user command/control, etc. Is there a sweet spot for ensuring data integrity but have non-burdensome and flexible workflows?

John

John P. Rees
Archivist and Digital Resources Manager
History of Medicine Division