[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Discontinuing use of "levels of description" labels?

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 8 14:51:42 EST 2019

In EAD, the hierarchy is fixed, but one of the advantages of linked data is that the elements are movable and reusable in other contexts. We’re not really taking advantage of that currently in ArchivesSpace, but for the future I think it makes sense to think about those use cases and whether level-of-description might be useful if the archival object is removed from its context.  ( For example, organizing artificial or virtual collections from subsets or multiple archival collections for exhibits or other display purposes — whether that’s done in ArchivesSpace or by another tool importing info from ArchivesSpace. )

I will also note that we are currently integrating Aeon with ArchivesSpace — currently in testing and not yet in production here, so we don’t have a lot of experience yet, but I think it may be useful to have level-of-description included in those requests (another instance where you are seeing the info removed from it’s context) and we are considering filtering request so that only the lowest level items are units that can be requested ( although this can be perhaps better implemented just by looking at whether the item has children. )

— Steve.