[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Ubuntu server configuration for fresh install of 2.6.0

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at princeton.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:52:41 EDT 2019

Heya,

My responses interleaved below

On 6/20/19 11:39 AM, Kara Hart wrote:
> Hi community,
> We are running ArchivesSpace 2.5.1 using MySQL 5.5.54 Apache 2.2.22
> OpenJDK java version 1.7.0_65 on a Ubuntu 12.04 server.  As Ubuntu 12.04
> is no longer supported, we are looking to upgrade the server as well as
> to version 2.6.0 of ArchivesSpace (also requires a java update
> apparently).   My IT Systems staff are asking what I need/want on the
> new server and I'm feeling a little unsure because of the vagueness of
> the Systems Requirements in the documentation.
>
> I was wondering if others would share their server setups for Ubuntu or
> what you would use if you were upgrading to a fresh server. Is anyone
> using Ubuntu 18.04?  or would 16.04 be more advisable?
> What version of Ubuntu, MySQL, Java? Apache? (see question below)

I'd skip to 18.04 if only because you'll lengthen the long term support
of the Ubuntu project.

We use mariadb 10.2 and moving this to percona (it is on an externally
hosted Cluster but can run locally)

> From chatter on another post it appears we would need OpenJDK 8 and not
> 9 to run AS 2.6.0.  Does that also exclude OpenJDK 10 and 11?

We are using OpenJDK8

> I also would like to clarify that AS doesn't need a web server?  I see
> no mention of Apache or the like on Application System Requirements, yet
> when I look at the pages to set up AS to over HTTPS it "assumes a server
> with Apache or Nginx" So is it using Apache on my current server or only
> if/when I implement HTTPS?

You will need a reverse proxy (both Nginx and Apache can do this)
because by default archivesspace will be broadcasting on port 8080/8081.

So traffic to your instance will do

patron <-> Apache/Nginx (443:80) <-> archivesspace (8080/8081)

This is gross over simplification because you could also put this as a
servlet on Apache Tomcat (I think)

Cheers,
./fxk