[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Ubuntu server configuration for fresh install of 2.6.0

Kara Hart kstrosch at wellesley.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:39:23 EDT 2019

Hi community,
We are running ArchivesSpace 2.5.1 using MySQL 5.5.54 Apache 2.2.22 OpenJDK
java version 1.7.0_65 on a Ubuntu 12.04 server.  As Ubuntu 12.04 is no
longer supported, we are looking to upgrade the server as well as to
version 2.6.0 of ArchivesSpace (also requires a java update apparently).
 My IT Systems staff are asking what I need/want on the new server and I'm
feeling a little unsure because of the vagueness of the Systems
Requirements in the documentation.

I was wondering if others would share their server setups for Ubuntu or
what you would use if you were upgrading to a fresh server. Is anyone using
Ubuntu 18.04?  or would 16.04 be more advisable?
What version of Ubuntu, MySQL, Java? Apache? (see question below)

>From chatter on another post it appears we would need OpenJDK 8 and not 9
to run AS 2.6.0.  Does that also exclude OpenJDK 10 and 11?

I also would like to clarify that AS doesn't need a web server?  I see no
mention of Apache or the like on Application System Requirements, yet when
I look at the pages to set up AS to over HTTPS it "assumes a server with
Apache or Nginx" So is it using Apache on my current server or only if/when
I implement HTTPS?

Thanks for any thoughts and clarifications!
Kara

~~~ Kara S. Hart
Systems Librarian - Library & Technology Services
-
Wellesley College