[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Top Containers for volumes

Larry Weimer larry.weimer at nyhistory.org
Wed Feb 13 22:50:26 EST 2019

Hi Adrien,

At New-York Historical Society, we would typically create a top container
for each standalone volume. We would do this in part because our finding
aids integrate with the patron request system (Aeon), making it
straightforward to request and page individual volumes. For the numbering,
we would use whatever system seemed to be appropriate for the volumes at
hand. For a bunch of random volumes, we would just assign them all a number
1, 2, 3, etc. In the Sparks case, we'd likely create a numbering that was a
meaningful identifier for each volume. Could be various forms: Vol. 1.1,
1.2, 1.3 (to indicate 1st series and volume within the series); Vol 1.1,
2.1, 3.1 (the reverse of the first option). Or add an S to emphasize the
fact that one of the numbers represents the series (e.g., Vol 1.1s, 2.1s,
etc. But if referring to the Sparks volumes all together in one top
container (e.g. Vols "1-5.1st" or something) like that provides adequate
control and description in your situation, go for it. Hope that helps!

Larry

Larry Weimer
Head of Archival Processing
New-York Historical Society