[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about Agent Records

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Mon Dec 16 16:37:01 EST 2019

Gwen,

You’ve definitely found a bug!

In the meantime, if you’re only using the date expression field within a Dates of Existence subrecord, I don’t think that I’d recommend using that record type to store that date.  I believe that the Dates of Existence records are primarily there to map to the “special coded dates” in a MARC authority record (see https://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad046.html).   What type of date are you recording in this part of the agent record?

Regardless, the current behavior in the application is a bug that needs to be fixed!!!   I took a closer look, and it appears that this is due to an issue with the metadata mappings in the HTML head section of the PUI.  There are a couple of ways to fix this bug:

  *   Change this line, https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/models/agent_person.rb#L14, to md[‘birthDate’] = dates[‘begin’] if dates[‘begin’].  I think I like this approach the most since it’s explicit that there’s no birth date when one isn’t set.
  *   That line never would’ve been a problem, though, until I changed this line, https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/models/agent_person.rb#L78, from just “md” to being md.delete_if { |key,value| value.empty?}.  The problem there arises when the metadata record comes in with a value of md[‘birthDate’] = nil.  So, maybe the safest way to fix this, and still keep the resulting metadata clean, would be to change line 78 to md.compact.delete_if { |key,value| value.empty? } .  In that case, the previous section that calls the compact method wouldn’t be needed.

Thanks for pointing out this issue!  It’s something that will need to be patched for each of the agent records.

Mark