[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Access term plugins

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Thu Oct 11 14:59:54 EDT 2018

Nancy,

Just a quick note to say, primarily, HEAR, HEAR!!! 😊

Now, as for tips, I’d also suggest that “shared terms” just cannot be reviewed in the staff interface at this time, even if you switch repositories like a pro with multiple browsers.  The reason:  what you see in the “Linked Records” section is not actually the records that are linked according to the database (so, it’s an inaccurate label name for the time being). Instead, what you see there is the result of a search for the name of that record – so that whole situation is even worse right now, since admins can be led astray if they look to the staff interface at all for this type of work.

I just made an example in “test.archivesspace.org” to illustrate the issue, but here’s what the data behind the scenes looks like:

Agent URL: http://test.archivesspace.org/staff/agents/agent_person/807              Agent Name: Doe, Jane                 Linked to: repository/2/resources/151
Agent URL: http://test.archivesspace.org/staff/agents/agent_person/809              Agent Name: Doe, Jane                 Linked to: repsotiory/3/resources/114

Okay, so here’s the rub:

When you’re logged in to repository 2, when you access agent_person/807, the linked record that you see is “resources/151”.  Okay, that’s right.  Switch to agent_person/809, and the linked record that you see is “resources/151”.  O…kay… (that’s not right)….  Now switch to repository 3.  When you access agent_person/807, the linked record that you see is “resources/114”.  Switch to agent_person/809, and the linked record that you see is “resources/114” yet again.

Yikes!

So, that needs to be addressed first and foremost in my opinion.  People can have the same name, of course, so a search for that alone often doesn’t cut it.  But, if the search was done on the database ID and then confined to that specific field in the index, sure, that would work.  But as things stand now, all agent merging (at the very least) needs to be done outside of the staff interface, especially for the other reasons that you mention.  In fact, we’re going through a project like that right now, and my colleague Alicia Detelich has written some great ways to extract that data so that you can review the actual, honest-to-goodness links in a spreadsheet format outside of ArchivesSpace.  I guess if you have a database where everything is perfect this isn’t an issue, but given that you can create agent records with the same string since as long as the “source” and/or “rules” differs it will be considered unique, this is definitely an issue that we’re having to deal with, and I imagine that not everyone has perfect data 😊

And I’ll also add that we’d really, really, really like to see the updates that you mention for “similar terms” as well.  The typeahead is nice, but doesn’t show enough info for anyone to make a decision about what to link to, exactly for the reasons that you mentioned (e.g. is that term “Actors” a topical term or an occupation term, and what about the one after that?).  I feel like someone has created some mockups before about how to help distinguish typeahead suggestions, but I can’t seem to find that in JIRA right now.  Maybe someone else remembers the ticket(s)?

Mark