[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Alma Integration

Kevin Clair Kevin.Clair at du.edu
Wed Oct 10 17:39:54 EDT 2018

To elaborate on that plugin: At Denver we create MARC records for each collection once it’s ready to be published and sent to the catalog. To automate that, we dedicated one of the user-defined string fields to the Alma MMS ID, which is the hook that its Bibliographic API uses. The plugin asks you to provide a Resource as input. From there it checks if that Resource has an MMS ID provided in the user-defined fields. If no, it asks if you’d like to create one (using the ArchivesSpace MARC export); if yes, it looks for any holdings records attached to the MARC record with that MMS ID, and provides you the option to create new holdings records if you wish.

A lot of the code in the plugin is hard-coded for the way we have Alma set up at DU. I’m working on setting some of those things (holdings codes, etc.) up as configurable options so that other Alma users can implement this without having to get into too much of the actual plugin code to set it up for their instance. It also doesn’t do anything with item records, which is the next major feature I want to build into it.

I’m happy to answer other questions about this!  -k