[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Maximum finding aid size

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at virginia.edu
Fri Oct 5 15:27:44 EDT 2018

I’ve recently imported a 25MB EAD file as well as some around 10-15MB.
It took a significant amount of time to ingest — about an hour.
This was on a test server with minimal load other than that job,
so you may want to schedule your ingest at off hours.
Definitely do it on a test server first, because it’s difficult to back out of
if you need to fix something and try again.

( This was using the current version (v2.5.0). Some very early versions were unacceptably slow. )

I think the primary overhead is in creating objects, more than the EAD parsing,
so it probably scales by some other order of complexity rather than just text size.
i.e. creating a very large bioghist or other note is still only creating a single object
and is probably a single MySQL operation, while turning a long list of agent names into
agent records and linking them to the resource is many operations.

— Steve Majewski